Johns Hopkins University
Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:
Scope and Contents This small collection gives a glimpse of the literary life of Baltimore in the late nineteenth century. Francese Turnbull was an author and patron of the arts. This collection is not her complete papers but deals with two of her interests: the patronage of Sidney Lanier and her membership in the Woman's Literary Club of Baltimore. The material on Lanier briefly describes the Turnbull's friendship with Sidney and Mary Day Lanier and details some of the activities the...
Overview Johns Hopkins Homewood Photography is a full-service, on-campus resource for professional photography and photographic services, which provides editorial and news photography, portraits, and research photography for Johns Hopkins University clients on the Homewood campus and beyond. The Homewood Photography records contain 35mm and 120mm photographic negatives with the bulk dating from 1990 to 2004, and born-digital photographs dating from 2004 to 2010.
Overview On May 31, 1877, at the behest of President Daniel Coit Gilman, Basil Gildersleeve, the first full professor of the Johns Hopkins University, organized the Johns Hopkins Philological Association, for the purpose of "that mutual and informal interchange of opinion ... which is so confessedly essential to the development of the true scholar." The records of the Johns Hopkins Philological Association consist of five bound volumes documenting early seminars and meetings of the department, as well...
Overview Until 1969, there was no central office for coordinating University publications. These materials are actually an artificial collection rather than a group of records generated by a single University office. The collection consists of both serial and occasional publications of the University. The former include Circulars, Registers, Annual Reports of the President, Directories, Student Directories, The Freshman Record, and Phonebooks. The occasional publications include a wide variety of...
Overview One of the first Hopkins student organizations, the Matriculate Society, was formed in 1883 to "foster the interests and promote the unity of the undergraduates." Since then, well over 150 student organizations have been established, most with similar goals; many have disbanded after a short period of time, while others have endured for as long as one hundred years. Types of records vary widely from organization to organization; many include membership lists, posters or announcements, while...
Overview The formation of the Tudor and Stuart Club was initiated by Sir William Osler and his wife, Lady Grace Osler. Their intention to provide an endowment for these activities was expressed in a letter to Johns Hopkins University President Frank J. Goodnow, dated October 30, 1918. Their endowment provided not only interest bearing securities for the book purchasing and other operations of the Club, it also contributed to their son Edward Revere Osler's personal book collection, about 800 volumes, as...
Overview The collection spans 1950-2010. In 1930, Mrs. Mary Willard Berry, wife of Dean Edward Berry presided over the first organizational meeting of the "Women's Faculty Club," founded by request of President Joseph S. Ames to "promote social contacts among the members." Although the records of the Woman's Club of The Johns Hopkins University span the years 1939 to 1985, they consist primarily of minutes of the group's meetings from 1939 to 1980. There are also directories of club members and by-laws...