Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Johns Hopkins University

 Organization

Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:

Johns Hopkins University Philological Association records

 Collection
Identifier: RG-15-010
Overview On May 31, 1877, at the behest of President Daniel Coit Gilman, Basil Gildersleeve, the first full professor of the Johns Hopkins University, organized the Johns Hopkins Philological Association, for the purpose of "that mutual and informal interchange of opinion ... which is so confessedly essential to the development of the true scholar." The records of the Johns Hopkins Philological Association consist of five bound volumes documenting early seminars and meetings of the department, as well...

Johns Hopkins University publications collection

 Collection
Identifier: RG-10-030
Overview Until 1969, there was no central office for coordinating University publications. These materials are actually an artificial collection rather than a group of records generated by a single University office. The collection consists of both serial and occasional publications of the University. The former include Circulars, Registers, Annual Reports of the President, Directories, Student Directories, The Freshman Record, and Phonebooks. The occasional publications include a wide variety of...

Tudor and Stuart Club records

 Collection
Identifier: RG-15-100
Overview The formation of the Tudor and Stuart Club was initiated by Sir William Osler and his wife, Lady Grace Osler. Their intention to provide an endowment for these activities was expressed in a letter to Johns Hopkins University President Frank J. Goodnow, dated October 30, 1918. Their endowment provided not only interest bearing securities for the book purchasing and other operations of the Club, it also contributed to their son Edward Revere Osler's personal book collection, about 800 volumes, as...

Woman's Club of The Johns Hopkins University records

 Collection
Identifier: RG-15-130
Overview The collection spans 1950-2010. In 1930, Mrs. Mary Willard Berry, wife of Dean Edward Berry presided over the first organizational meeting of the "Women's Faculty Club," founded by request of President Joseph S. Ames to "promote social contacts among the members." Although the records of the Woman's Club of The Johns Hopkins University span the years 1939 to 1985, they consist primarily of minutes of the group's meetings from 1939 to 1980. There are also directories of club members and by-laws...