Johns Hopkins University
Found in 15 Collections and/or Records:
Overview The records of the Centennial Celebration document the activities of the Office of Centennial Planning, the Centennial Board, and committees in preparing for the various social festivities, symposia, and other commemorative events undertaken to celebrate Hopkins's hundredth anniversary in 1976.
Overview In 1857, philanthropist George Peabody gave the amount of $300,000 for the funding of a library in the city of Baltimore, Maryland. The construction of what was then known as the Library of the Peabody Institute (also the Peabody Institute Library) in Mount Vernon-Belvedere neighborhood began in 1858. Due to the difficulties of opening such a library during the Civil War (1861-1865), the building was not officially dedicated to the public until 1866 and 1878, the west wing and east wing,...
Overview A native of Baltimore, Gilbert V. Levin obtained his B.E. in Civil Engineering from Johns Hopkins University in 1947 and his M.S. in Sanitary Engineering in 1948, and received his Ph.D. in Environmental Engineering in 1963. He is the founder of Spherix Inc., and the principal investigator of the Mars Viking Mission Labeled Release Experiment. This collection of his papers represents Levin’s professional scientific career, including correspondence with colleagues, the pursuit of over 50...
Overview Isaiah Bowman, fifth president of The Johns Hopkins University and geographer, was born in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, December 26, 1878. The Isaiah Bowman papers offer a fairly complete view of his many-faceted professional life, and Bowman's service as an advisor to the U.S. government and U.S. State Department, particularly in relation to World War I and II, are well-documented in the papers. The papers span from 1902 to 1950.
Overview J. Montgomery Gambrill (1880-1953) was a historian and professor at Columbia University and Johns Hopkins University. This collection consists largely of typed and handwritten correspondence, subject files, and teaching files reagarding his research and administrative duties, from 1794 to 1966.
Overview This collection includes donations from Johns Hopkins University alumni that document student life, frequently reflecting the donor's personal experience as a student at Johns Hopkins University. The collection includes photographs, letters, student notes, and other material. The collection spans the 19th and 20th centuries.
Overview On August 24, 1867, Johns Hopkins incorporated the two institutions which bear his name: Johns Hopkins University and Johns Hopkins Hospital. The original members of the Boards of Trustees for the two institutions were named in the Certificate of Incorporation. The records of the Board of Trustees span the years 1867 through 2012, although, with the exception of the bound volumes of minutes, relatively little exists for the years prior to 1925. The records document the activities of the Johns...
Scope and Contents The Records of the General Assembly date from 1950 through 1984, although few records exist prior to 1971. Arranged in one series, the first two folders contain information on the creation of the General Assembly; the remainder of the records consist of minutes, agendas and supporting papers. The supporting papers generally consist of correspondence, reports and memoranda, serving to illustrate the types of problems the Assembly considered and its relation with other governing boards,...
Overview The first meeting of the Committee on the Fiftieth Anniversary Celebration was held on December 16, 1924, under the chairmanship of Frank J. Goodnow, President of the University. The goals of the Committee in planning the celebration were to establish closer relations with alumni and to secure endowments of approximately eleven million dollars. The records of the Half Century Celebration date from December 1924 to November 1926, the year the anniversary took place. The records include: minutes;...
Overview On May 31, 1877, at the behest of President Daniel Coit Gilman, Basil Gildersleeve, the first full professor of the Johns Hopkins University, organized the Johns Hopkins Philological Association, for the purpose of "that mutual and informal interchange of opinion ... which is so confessedly essential to the development of the true scholar." The records of the Johns Hopkins Philological Association consist of five bound volumes documenting early seminars and meetings of the department, as well...