Skip to main content

"1981 Lecture Series-Darwin Klingman; 1982 Lecture Series-Ralph L. Disney."

 File — Container: 8 [aspace.38509.box.8]
The Department of Mathematical Sciences had its origins in 1946 when an undergraduate curriculum in industrial engineering was first introduced. In 1947, Robert H. Roy was appointed Associate Professor of Industrial Engineering in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. Roy's appointment led to the creation of the Department of Industrial Engineering in 1950. The 1950s saw an increasing demand for engineering and business graduates, and by the end of the decade, faculty specialties extended from industrial organization and management to statistics and accounting. In 1964, the department was renamed the Department of Operations Research and Industrial Engineering. In the 1970s the Department expanded dramatically and became one of the largest departments in the University. In 1973 the Department was renamed the Department of Mathematical Sciences.

A more detailed history and records of the Department of Mathematical Sciences are available in the University Archives. Record Group 06-090. The Robert H. Roy Papers Ms. 354, a small collection of mostly published material, is also available in Special Collections.

Acheson Duncan came to Hopkins in 1946 as a professor of statistics and joined the faculty of the Department of Mechanical Engineering's program in industrial engineering. During his career at Hopkins, he referred to himself as a professor of statistics. He taught classes in quality control and industrial statistics, analysis of variance and regression, experimental design, and analysis of reponse surfaces.

In Series 6 are lecture notes, course material, departmental reports, seminar papers, committee reports, departmental bulletins, and agendas for the General Assembly meetings for the School of Arts and Sciences. Most of the material appears to have been collected by Acheson Duncan during the period after 1971 when he was professor emeritus.

Three record center boxes containing department files and copies of tech reports produced in the department were transferred to the University Archives, July 1997. This material will be added to the Records of the Department of Mathematical Sciences. RG 06-090.

Dates

  • 1961-1985

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is housed off-site and requires 48-hours' notice for retrieval. Please contact Special Collections for more information.

This collection is open for use.

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Repository

Contact:
The Sheridan Libraries
Special Collections
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA