Skip to main content

Martin L. Millspaugh papers on Urban Planning and Development

 Collection
Identifier: MS-0630
This collection consists of the personal papers of Martin L. Millspaugh from 1947-2014 (bulk 1953-2011), a Baltimore, Maryland based international real estate developer and consultant. The majority of the collection consists of working and research files related to the field of urban economic development and a number of major urban development projects, most notably the Charles Center – Inner Harbor (CC-IH) projects in Baltimore, Maryland. The collection also contains files dating from Millspaugh’s time with the Enterprise Development Company (EDC) and Enterprise Real Estate Services (ERES), as well as development project files related to independent consulting work in Barcelona, Osaka, Rotterdam, Belfast, Philadelphia, Honolulu, and Darling Harbour in Sydney, Australia.

The bulk of the material is related to Millspaugh’s work with urban development from 1953-2005 and contains working files on various projects, including master plans, data and reports, prospectuses, and correspondence.

Additional types of material include academic papers and reports and research files on the topics of twentieth and twenty-first century urban development and planning, architecture, design, urban economic development, and the origin and practice of urban development in the mid-twentieth century. There are also photographs and images of Charles Center – Inner Harbor, writings and publications (including those by Millspaugh), files related to the documentary Global Harbors, audio visual material, and electronic records.

Millspaugh also kept detailed records of his own career accomplishments in the form of career timelines, biographies, collections of kudos, and lists of his travels and presentations. These, as well as detailed histories of the projects he worked on are present in the collection.

Dates

  • 1947-2014
  • Majority of material found within 1953 - 2011

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is housed off-site and requires 48-hours notice for retrieval. Please contact Special Collections for more information.

Series 14: Electronic records is closed until processed. Please contact Special Collections for more information. The rest of the collection is open for use.

Conditions Governing Use note

Single copies may be made for research purposes. Researchers are responsible for determining any copyright questions. It is not necessary to seek our permission as the owner of the physical work to publish or otherwise use public domain materials that we have made available for use, unless Johns Hopkins University holds the copyright.

Extent

71.26 Cubic Feet (54 record center cartons, 1 flat box (31 x 25 x 2.25 inches), 1 oversize box (25 x 19 x 10 inches))

Biography of Martin L. Millspaugh

Martin L. Millspaugh was born on December 16, 1925. After attending the local Gilman School he went on to serve for two years in World War II in the U.S. Army 20th Air Force. Upon his return to the United States, Millspaugh graduated summa cum laude from the Woodrow Wilson School of Public Affairs at Princeton University in the Class of 1947.

After his education, Millspaugh began a career as a journalist, first for the News Leader in Richmond, Virginia and later the Baltimore Evening Sun in Maryland, where he was twice nominated for the Pulitzer Prize for his coverage of the Baltimore Plan of Neighborhood Rehabilitation and the origin of the national program of urban development and renewal at the local and national scale.

From 1957 to 1960, Millspaugh was Assistant Commissioner of the U.S. Urban Renewal Administration (now part of the Federal Department of Housing and Urban Development).

From 1965 to 1985 he was Chief Executive of the non-profit, public-private corporation that he created to manage the implementation of Baltimore's Charles Center-Inner Harbor Redevelopment Program.

After the substantial completion of the Inner Harbor development in 1985, Millspaugh became President and then Vice Chair of the non-profit Enterprise Development Companies, of Columbia, Maryland. He was responsible for the creation of the companies' international consulting business, utilizing Baltimore's Inner Harbor as a model for other cities' public and private "place-making" projects on five continents.

While at Enterprise, he served on the Board of a partner organization, Merlin International Properties, Ltd., based in the Isle of Man.

In 2005, he became Chairman of the non-profit corporation that created Global Harbors, a documentary film based on "City Alive," the presentation that Millspaugh had prepared for other public and private decision-makers from cities around the world, who wished to learn about the Baltimore Renaissance as a model for their own waterfront redevelopment programs.

Millspaugh was selected by the Greater Baltimore Committee to receive its Annual Award for Civic Achievement in 1981. He was also named an Honorary Member of the international Urban Land Institute, where he served on the Institute's International and Urban Development Councils, and was the founding Chairman of the Institute's Baltimore Council. He has lectured at Harvard, Princeton, Columbia and NYU, and served as Chairman of the Advisory Board of the Johns Hopkins University Real Estate Institute.

He was a member of Advisory Boards of the Baltimore Aquarium, the Columbia University School of Architecture and Urban Planning, Twentieth Century Fund, the Waterfront Center, UMBC President’s Council and the Maryland Secretary of Transportation.

In Baltimore, he has served as a Trustee or Director for the Enoch Pratt Free Library, the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra Association, Metropolitan YMCA, CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield, the Savings Bank of Baltimore, Baltimore Equitable Society, World Trade Center Institute and the Roland Park Civic League, among others.

Career Chronology of Martin L. Millspaugh

1937-1943
Attended the Gilman School in Baltimore, Maryland.
1944-1946
Served in World War II, U.S. Army 20th Air Force.
1946-1949
Graduated summa cum laude from the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs at Princeton University. Thesis: "The Definition of News."
1949-1953
Worked as a general assignment reporter for the News Leader in Richmond, Virginia.
1953-1957
Edited and co-authored "The Human Side of Urban Renewal." Published by the Fund for Adult Education of the Ford Foundation, 1958.
Worked as an investigative reporter for the Evening Sun in Baltimore, Maryland. Covered the birth of the national program of urban development and the pioneering local program in Baltimore.
1957-1960
Received the 1960 Distinguished Service Award of the U.S. Housing and Home Finance Agency (later the Department of Housing and Urban Development, or HUD).
Presented professional papers on the economic development movement to organizations such as the Academy for Political Science, American Association for the Advancement of Science, Council on Urban Economic Development, the American Planning Association, Harvard School of Design and Institute for Public-Private Partnerships.
Appointed Assistant U.S. Commissioner for Program Planning and Development of the Urban Renewal Administration in the Eisenhower administration. Helped author the block grant form of federal assistance to cities, and amendments to the National Housing Act that made commercial redevelopment projects eligible for federal funding.
1960-1965
Employed as Deputy General Manager of the Charles Center Management Office for the Charles Center Project, the first urban redevelopment project in the center of a major city.
1965-1985
Employed as founder, president, chairman, and CEO of the Charles Center-Inner Harbor Management, Inc., which oversaw the renewal of 300 acres of Downtown Baltimore, including 120 individual projects.
1985-2005
Named an Honorary Member and Lifetime Council Member of ULI in 1996.
Created the Baltimore District Council of the Urban Land Institute (ULI) and served on the national ULI’s Urban Development and Public-Private Partnership Councils, the Awards and District Council Committees and the first International Committee.
Employed as President and later Vice Chairman of the Enterprise Development Companies (including the Enterprise Development Corporation).

Immediate Source of Acquisition

This collection was donated to the Sheridan Libraries by Martin L. Millspaugh in numerous accessions from 2012 to 2014.

Processing Information

Processed by Valerie Addonizio in 2013-2014.

The arrangement of this collection is based on the original order of the materials as documented by the creator. Folder titles were copied verbatium from the original files.

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Repository

Contact:
The Sheridan Libraries
Special Collections
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA