James D. McCabe papers
- McCabe, James D., 1842-1883 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for use.
Conditions Governing Use
1.26 Cubic Feet (3 letter size document boxes, 1 custom box (8 x 5.5 x 2.25 inches), 1 custom box (8 x 5.5 x 2.25 inches))
Following the war McCabe continued his prolific writing in Boston, New York (where for a time he apparently worked for Fithian and Co., Virginia Tobacco Merchants), and finally in Germantown, Pennsylvania, where he died on January 27, 1883.
His later works (some written under a pseudonym, Edward Winslow Martin) include Paris by Sunlight and Gaslight (1869), Great Fortunes and How They Were Made (1871), History of the War Between Germany and France (1871), Lights and Shadows of New York (1872), Behind the Scenes in Washington (1873), History of the Grange Movement (1874), Centennial History of the United States (1875), Pathways of the Holy Land (1877), National Encyclopedia of Business and Social Forms (1879), Our Martyred President (1871) and Our Young Folk in Africa (1882).
Scope and Contents
McCabe's unpublished manuscripts indicate his "Cut and Paste" method that produced his voluminous popular works. Of interest in his History of the War Between the States (1862) written in the midst of that conflict; a play, Arthur Pendragon, adapted from Tennyson's Idyls of the King; a biographical sketch of temperance leader Francis Murphy and anecdotal histories of the Mormons and of the United States.
The papers appear to have been damaged by fire [perhaps the Library fire of 1908], and there are gaps and unidentified material.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Aging parents
- American Civil War (1861-1865)
- August, James A.
- Bliss, E., Jr.
- Boutwell, George S. (George Sewall), 1818-1905
- Brown, Thurlow W. (Thurlow Weed), 1819-1866
- Colfax, Schuyler, 1823-1885
- Fairy tales
- Fathers and sons
- Jones, J. R., active 1862-1881
- Jones, T. J., active 1862-1881
- Lee, Robert E. (Robert Edward), 1807-1870
- McAdoo, W. G. (William Gibbs), 1863-1941
- McCabe family
- McCabe, Daniel T. (Daniel Trigg), 1849-1931
- McCabe, James D., 1842-1883
- McCabe, James Dabney, 1808-1875
- McCabe, John C. (John Collins), 1810-1875
- McCabe, Josephina
- McCabe, Robert A., active 1867-1868
- Murphy, Francis, 1836-1907
- New York (State)--New York
- Pennsylvania Railroad
- Pennsylvania Railroad (Corporate Name)
- Pickett, George E. (George Edward), 1825-1875
- Publishers and publishing
- Rosecrans, William S. (William Starke), 1819-1898
- Seymour, Horatio, 1810-1886
- United States
- ambrotypes (photographs)
Part of the Special Collections Repository
The Sheridan Libraries
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA