Theodor von Muncker collection on the Bayreuth Festspielhaus
The collection contains chiefly printed material from 1872 to 1889 gathered by Theodor von Muncker, mayor of the Bavarian town of Bayreuth during the period of the construction and opening of the Festspielhaus theater designed for Richard Wagner. Documents in the collection are related to the administration and programming of the Festspielhaus and the Richard Wagner-Verein.
- 1872 - 1889
- Muncker, Theodor von, 1823-1900 (Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for use at the Peabody Archives.
Conditions Governing Use
Single copies may be made for research purposes. Researchers are responsible for determining any copyright questions. It is not necessary to seek our permission as the owner of the physical work to publish or otherwise use public domain materials that we have made available for use, unless Johns Hopkins University holds the copyright. All requests for permission to publish or perform materials in this collection must be submitted in writing to the archivist of the Arthur Friedheim Library.
0.23 Cubic Feet (1 flat box)
Biographical / Historical
As mayor of the Bavarian town of Bayreuth from 1863 to his death in 1900, Theodor von Muncker helped lead the central administrative committee for the Festspielhaus theater designed to accommodate the production of Richard Wagner's operas, including the first full production of Der Ring des Nibelungen when the theater opened in 1876. Muncker also participated in the Richard Wagner-Verein, a club intended to support festivals and other activities centered on Wagner.
Scope and Contents
The collection contains chiefly printed material from 1872 to 1889 gathered by Theodor von Muncker, mayor of the Bavarian town of Bayreuth during the period of the construction and opening of the Festspielhaus theater designed for Richard Wagner. Documents in the collection are related to the finances, administration, and programming at the Festspielhaus. Included are announcements to patrons about the first complete performance of Der Ring des Nibelungen, appeals for financial contributions, a copy of Wagner's speech at the laying of the theater's foundation stone, a seating plan of the auditorium, a concert program featuring music by Wagner, a program from Wagner's funeral, a manuscript accounting ledger, and various communications about the Richard Wagner-Verein. Most documents contain Muncker's autograph in the corner.
Arrangement is chronological.
Note on original folder implies collection was once owned by Lucille Johnson Rosenbloom, a harpist in Pittsburgh.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Susan Schlenger, probably in the 1980s or 1990s.
Processed by Matt Testa in 2017.