Skip to main content

School of Arts and Sciences. Department of Biophysics



  • Existence: 1957-


The Department of Biophysics was established in 1957 with funds from May McShane Jenkins and named in honor of her late husband Thomas Courtenay Jenkins (1866-1938), a Baltimore financier and art collector.

As of 2016, Bertrand García-Moreno is the department chair.


Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Department of Biophysics records

 Record Group — Box 1: [Barcode: 31151030160323]
Identifier: RG-04-210

In 1949, the first course in biophysics was offered at Johns Hopkins. The following year Jenkins Hall was dedicated as the center of biophysical research at the Homewood campus. This collection consists of materials pertaining to the 50th anniversary of Biophysics at Hopkins, circa 1999, including items from previous anniversaries. This collection also includes an archived website.

Dates: circa 1999; 2015 - Ongoing