George Peabody Library
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Overview In 1857, philanthropist George Peabody gave the amount of $300,000 for the funding of a library in the city of Baltimore, Maryland. The construction of what was then known as the Library of the Peabody Institute (also the Peabody Institute Library) in Mount Vernon-Belvedere neighborhood began in 1858. Due to the difficulties of opening such a library during the Civil War (1861-1865), the building was not officially dedicated to the public until 1866 and 1878, the west wing and east wing,...
Overview Records documenting the activities of the executive office of the Institute. Includes correspondence from prospective lecturers such as Ralph Waldo Emerson, John Fiske, and James Russell Lowell (1867-1913); correspondence concerning the library, including letters received from Abram Stevens Hewitt of Cooper Union, E. W. Blatchford of the Newberry Library, and Melvil Dewey; numerous letters from the Institute librarian, Philip R. Uhler, to the provost reporting library activities during the...