Skip to main content

Jewish Students Association records

 Record Group
Identifier: RG-14-170

  • Staff Only
  • No requestable containers

Scope and Contents

The records of the Jewish Students Association (JSA) span the period 1976 to 1983. Even though the Association was founded in 1955, there are no records extant from the first twenty years. The records from 1976 to 1981 are very general, including posters, letters, the JSA newsletter and schedules of activities. The records from 1981 to 1983 are more explicit and include correspondence, press releases, some financial information, newspaper clippings, information on the search for a campus rabbi, as well as broadsides and posters.

Dates

  • Creation: 1976-1983

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

All student organization records received prior to 2017 are closed for 25 years from the date of creation to everyone except current members of the student organization, after which they are publicly available for access. Materials intended for public dissemination, such as publications, newsletters, and event flyers, are publicly available for access immediately once processed. If you are a member of this student organization and have questions about our access policy, please contact Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

Single copies may be made for research purposes. Researchers are responsible for determining any copyright questions. It is not necessary to seek our permission as the owner of the physical work to publish or otherwise use public domain materials that we have made available for use, unless Johns Hopkins University holds the copyright.

Biographical / Historical

The Jewish Students Association (JSA)" was founded in 1955 to provide social, cultural and religious programs for Jewish students on the Hopkins campus. In 1962, the JSA became affiliated with the B'nai B'rith Hillel Foundations as a Hillel Counselorship. In the same year, the group established Shabbat services every Friday night in the Levering Hall Chapel. This was the first time that regular Shabbat services had ever been held at Hopkins. At this time, the Hopkins JSA joined with those of Goucher College and Towson State College to have dances and dinners.

Today the JSA is still very active. They often have experts speak on the problems in the Middle East and Soviet Jewry. In their newsletter, Israel Perspective, they reprint articles from major newspapers dealing with the problems facing Jews in our society. The JSA also plays an important social role on campus: it sponsors bagel brunches, dances and various other activities. Services are now held in the Kosher Dining Hall, which the JSA oversees, on holidays and the Sabbath.

Extent

0.19 Cubic Feet (1 letter half-size document box)

Language of Materials

Undetermined

Abstract

The Jewish Students Association was founded in 1955 to provide social, cultural and religious programs for Jewish students on the Hopkins campus. The records of the Jewish Students Association (JSA) span the period 1976 to 1983, including posters, letters, the JSA newsletter and schedules of activities, correspondence, press releases, some financial information, newspaper clippings, information on the search for a campus rabbi, as well as broadsides and posters.

Arrangement

The record group is arranged in one series and folders are filed in alphabetical order by file title.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Seth Kaye, President of the JSA, transferred records to the Archives in 1982 and 1983.

Accruals

Accession Numbers: 82.21, 83.10

Processing Information

Processed by Sean DiGiovanna and Wendell O'Brien.

Title
Jewish Students Association records
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Repository

Contact:
The Sheridan Libraries
Special Collections
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA