A.B. and W. Club menu and printing plate
- approximately 1928
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
0.19 Cubic Feet (1 letter half size document box)
Biographical / Historical
The A.B. and W. Club was first opened as the Owl Café and Theatre (The Owl) in Mexicali in 1913. The Owl was operated as a bar, casino, and brothel. In 1916, it moved from its original location at Ave. Porfirio Díaz to Mexicali’s Chinatown district where it featured vaudeville acts, silent movies, and jazz performances. The location also claimed to have the “longest bar in the world.” The Owl burned down in 1920 and was rebuilt before burning down a second time in 1922. After being rebuilt a second time, the club was renamed to the A.B. and W. Club in 1924.
Crawford, Richard W. San Diego Yesterday. Charleston, SC: The History Press, 2013.
Schantz, Eric Michael. "All Night at the Owl: The Social and Political Relations of Mexicali's Red-Light District, 1913-1925." Journal of the Southwest 43, no. 4 (2001): 549-602
Taylor, Lawrence D. “The Wild Frontier Moves South.” Journal of Sandiego History 48, no. 3 (2002). https://sandiegohistory.org/journal/2002/july/frontier-2/
The menu was printed by George E. Traub Printer and consists of a folded paper cut into the shape of an owl, with two printed inserts of the daily specials. The folded menu lists the names and prices of food dishes as well as beers, cocktails, wines, liquors and soft drinks. Some of the prices have hand-written changes in pen and pencil.
The printing block consists of an owl-shaped metal plate attached to a wood block. The metal plate has the phrase “A.B. AND W. Club (The Owl)” carved into it. Glued to the back of the wood block is a newspaper clipping featuring a comic strip.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Part of the Special Collections Repository
The Sheridan Libraries
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA