Slack Family collection
Scope and Contents
The papers in the Slack Family Collection have been artificially arranged and consist largely of correspondence collected by Susan Brune Randall and her daughter, Elizabeth Randall, to form an autograph collection spanning 1853-1928. The collection does not include any significant information regarding family or business interests. The letters are addressed to family members, primarily Blanchard Randall, but other recipients are included as well. Several letters are addressed to John M. Glenn, director of the Sage Foundation and to University president, Daniel Coit Gilman. Some of the letters were most likely donated to the Randalls to be included in a collection of autographs of prominent people of the period. In a letter dated November 7 (no year), Daniel Coit Gilman wrote that he was sending to Susan Randall a number of letters for her "people's collection." The letters are arranged loosely in chronological order where possible. Not all the letters are dated. One grouping, 1896-1907, is mostly letters of government officials; another grouping, 1902-1923, is letters of university administrators. Also of interest in the collection is a letter of President Woodrow Wilson to the senior Dr. Henry R. Slack (October 1, 1915) in which he mentions their school days at Hopkins and sends congratulations as the younger Dr. Henry Richmond Slack begins his medical career. Other items include a typescript of Blanchard Randall's "Reminiscences of Presidents," a published history entitled The '91 Club, and previously-published prints of George Peabody. A final item is a reprint of William Wirt's address to the Peithessophian Society, Rutgers College, in 1830. William Wirt (1772-1834) was a constitutional lawyer and the grandfather of Blanchard Randall.
- Creation: 1853-1928
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is housed off-site and requires 48-hours' notice for retrieval. Please contact Special Collections for more information.
Collection is open for use.
Conditions Governing Use
Single copies may be made for research purposes. Researchers are responsible for determining any copyright questions. It is not necessary to seek our permission as the owner of the physical work to publish or otherwise use public domain materials that we have made available for use, unless Johns Hopkins University holds the copyright.
The Slack Family, Randall Family, and Brune Family were related through marriages, and several family members had connections with The Johns Hopkins University through study and service.
Henry Richmond Slack studied at The Johns Hopkins University, 1883- 1885, and received his M.D. from Emory University in 1891. His son, Henry Richmond Slack, Jr. (1889-1957) received his M.D. from Hopkins in 1912. After a year of service at the Peking Union Medical College, China, 1922-1923, Dr. Slack (Jr.) established a surgical practice in Baltimore. The younger Slack married Elizabeth Blanchard Randall (born 1892). Mrs. Elizabeth Randall Slack was also enrolled at the University as a graduate student in psychology (1914-1915) and in the College for Teachers (1916-1918). Mrs. Slack was the daughter of Blanchard Randall (1856-1942), a trustee of the University, 1901-1941. Blanchard Randall was married to Susan Brune Randall (1860-1937).
0.167 Cubic Feet (.5 document box)
Language of Materials
The papers in the Slack Family Collection have been artificially arranged and consist largely of correspondence collected by Susan Brune Randall and her daughter, Elizabeth Randall, to form an autograph collection spanning 1853-1928. The collection does not include any significant information regarding family or business interests.
The collection was given to the University by W. Cameron Slack, December 1991.
Finding aid prepared by Joan Grattan in April 1992.
- Brune family, 1853-1928 (Maryland), 1853-1928 (Family)
- Randall family, 1853-1928 (Maryland), 1853-1928 (Family)
- Coolidge, Susan, 1835-1905 (Person)
- Finley, John H. (John Huston), 1863-1940 (Person)
- Gilman, Daniel C. (Daniel Coit), 1831-1908 (Person)
- Wilson, Woodrow, 1856-1924 (Person)
- Butler, Nicholas Murray, 1862-1947 (Person)
- Colvin, Sidney, 1845-1927 (Person)
- Dobbin, George W., 1809-1891 (Person)
- Eliot, Charles William, 1834-1926 (Person)
- Fields, Annie, 1834-1915 (Person)
- Furness, Horace Howard, 1833-1912 (Person)
- Glenn, John Mark, 1858-1896 (Person)
- Jacobi, A. (Abraham), 1830-1919 (Person)
- Low, Seth, 1850-1916 (Person)
- Lowell, A. Lawrence (Abbott Lawrence), 1856-1943 (Person)
- Murphy, Edgar Gardner, 1869-1913 (Person)
- Randall, Blanchard, 1856-1942 (Person)
- Randall, Susan Brune, 1860-1937 (Person)
- Sanborn, F. B. (Franklin Benjamin), 1831-1917 (Person)
- Shattuck, George Brune (Person)
- Slack, Elizabeth Randall, 1892- (Person)
- Slack, Henry Richmond, 1889-1957 (Person)
- Smith, George Adam, 1856-1942 (Person)
- Wirt, William, 1772-1834 (Person)
- Wright, Carroll D. (Carroll Davidson), 1840-1909 (Person)
- Slack Family collection
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English
Part of the Special Collections Repository
The Sheridan Libraries
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA