Leon Madansky papers
- Madansky, Leon, 1923-2000 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for use.
Conditions Governing Use
3.07 Cubic Feet (2 record center cartons, 1 letter size document box, 1 letter half-size document box)
On June 8, 1947, Madansky married Rena Ada Goldstein. They had two children; Deborah Leah Madansky (March 29, 1949) and Charles Hertz Madansky (February 21, 1951).
Prior to completing graduate school, Madansky held an academic assistantship in Infared Spectroscopy from 1940-1942 and a Research Assistantship from 1942-1943 in a National Defense Research Committee war project under the direction of Professor O.S. Duffendack and E.F. Barker. From 1944-1945 he was commissioned as a US Navy Ensign, doing research in millimeter wave radiation at the Naval Research Laboratory. He worked under Professor Marcellus Wiedenback in the field of nuclear isomerism from 1946-1948. After leaving the University of Michigan, Madansky was appointed an instructor in the physics department of the Johns Hopkins University.
Madansky would remain with Hopkins for the rest of his career. He was named Assistant Professor in 1949, Associate Professor in 1952, Professor of Physics in 1958 and Chairman of the Physics Department in 1965. Madansky served as Chairman until 1968, and it was during this time that he expanded the department to include the astrophysics group, changing the department to Physics and Astronomy.
Madansky specialized in nuclear, particle and condensed matter physics, but he was also an expert in general physics. He collaborated with George Owen and France Rasetti among others and spent time at other research facilities, including Brookhaven National Laboratory, Fermilab, CERN, the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC) and the Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory.
Madansky was given Professor Emeritus status by Hopkins in 1998. He held the position for two years until his death in 2000. He died suddenly of a heart ailment on March 18th while vacationing in London.
Scope and Contents
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Part of the Special Collections Repository
The Sheridan Libraries
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA