The Black and Blue Jay records
- 1920-1938, 1984-2010
- Majority of material found within 1920-1938
- Black and Blue Jay (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Conditions Governing Use
2.76 Cubic Feet (6 containers)
Biographical / Historical
The first issues included cartoons, jokes, fiction, editorials and some articles on various subjects. As the magazine developed, the emphasis varied between humor and more serious writing. By 1927, the magazine included theater and book reviews as regular features. One editor in 1933 wrote that one of the Jay's purposes was "to reflect the life of the University."
The editors repeatedly ran into editorial problems with the administration. The Dean and the President wanted more literary writing and less vulgar humor, while the students and fraternities pressed for more daring material. As a result, the editorial policy of the magazine swung back and forth. Finally, in October 1934, Dean Edward W. Berry cut off all financial support for The Black and Blue Jay. Some of the staff, however, changed the name to The Blue Jay and continued to publish the magazine as an independent project. The Blue Jay was very similar to its predecessor, although it did contain more campus writing and more non-fiction writing. Nevertheless, the Dean again lost patience with the editors and in 1939 the magazine was banned from campus under the threat of expulsion of its editors. In 1984 The Black and Blue Jay was revived for a second publication run.
Scope and Contents
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Part of the Special Collections Repository
The Sheridan Libraries
3400 N Charles St
Baltimore MD 21218 USA