Laurence Hall Fowler autograph collection
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of approximately 50 letters written between 1613 and 1925 by famous architects, primarily English. Architects represented include Robert Adam, Henry Bacon, Charles Barry (father and son), William Chambers, Thomas Hastings, Frederick Law Olmsted, William Thornton, A.W.N Pugin, Sir John Soane and George Edmund Street.
- Creation: 1613-1925
- Fowler, Laurence Hall, 1876-1971 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is housed off-site and requires 48-hours' notice for retrieval. Contact Special Collections for more information.
Collection is open for use.
Conditions Governing Use
Single copies may be made for research purposes. Researchers are responsible for determining any copyright questions. It is not necessary to seek our permission as the owner of the physical work to publish or otherwise use public domain materials that we have made available for use, unless Johns Hopkins University holds the copyright.
Biographical / Historical
Laurence Hall Fowler (1876-1971) was a prominent Baltimore architect. He had a particular interest in architectural history, and purchased a number of letters of famous architects.
0.24 Cubic Feet (1 half-sized legal document box)
Language of Materials
Laurence Hall Fowler (1876-1971) was a prominent Baltimore architect. This collection consists of approximately 50 letters written between 1613 and 1925 by famous architects, primarily English.
Arranged alphabetically by correspondent.
Other Finding Aids
An offline inventory exists for this collection. Please contact Special Collections for more information.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The collection was purchased by Fowler, and given to the John Work Garrett Library, which was donated to the University from the estate of John Work Garrett.
There is no known processing information for this collection.
- Adam, Robert, 1728-1792 (Person)
- Bacon, Henry, 1866-1924 (Person)
- Barry, Charles, 1795-1860 (Person)
- Barry, Charles, 1823-1900 (Person)
- Blondel, François, 1618-1686 (Person)
- Bosse, Abraham (1602-1676) (Person)
- Burton, William Paton, 1828-1883 (Person)
- Chambers, William, Sir, 1723-1796 (Person)
- Connick, Charles J. (Charles Jay), 1875- (Person)
- Cooke, Edward William, 1811-1880 (Person)
- Falkener, Edward, 1814-1896 (Person)
- Godwin, George, 1813-1888 (Person)
- Ferguson, James, 1808-1886 (Person)
- Gibbons, Grinling, 1648-1721 (Person)
- Gravatt, William, 1806-1866 (Person)
- Gwilt, Joseph, 1784-1863 (Person)
- Hardwick, Philip, 1792-1870 (Person)
- Hastings, Thomas, 1860-1929 (Person)
- Jones, Inigo, 1573-1652 (Person)
- Jones, Owen, 1809-1874 (Person)
- Olmsted, Frederick Law, 1822-1903 (Person)
- Parker, John Henry, 1806-1884 (Person)
- Paxton, Joseph, Sir, 1803-1865 (Person)
- Pugin, Augustus Welby Northmore, 1812-1852 (Person)
- Scott, G. Gilbert (George Gilbert), 1839-1897 (Person)
- Smirke, Robert, 1752-1845 (Person)
- Soane, John, Sir, 1753-1837 (Person)
- Street, George Edmund, 1824-1881 (Person)
- Stuart, James, 1713-1788 (Person)
- Thornton, William, 1759-1828 (Person)
- Warburton, William, Bishop of Gloucester, 1698-1779 (Person)
- Waterhouse, Alfred, 1830-1905 (Person)
- Wyatt, James, 1746-1813 (Person)
- Wyatt, M. Digby, Sir (Matthew Digby), 1820-1877 (Person)
- Guide to the Laurence Hall Fowler autograph collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the John Work Garrett Library (Evergreen Museum and Library) Repository
4545 N. Charles Street
Baltimore MD 21218 USA