Showing Collections: 81 - 90 of 183
John Gurnels Alexander was born March 8, 1888 in Franklin county, Georgia. The collection consists of letters dating from 1909 to 1952 to and from family, friends, soldiers and businesses; as well as Army documents from the war period.
This collection contains lectures, speeches and writings; reprints; book manuscripts; and the conference papers of John G. A. Pocock, a historian of political thought and professor emeritus at Johns Hopkins University. His papers spans the years of 1962 to 2017, with the majority of the materials dating from Pocock's time at Hopkins. This holding notably includes his handwritten manuscripts of Barbarism and Religion (1999).
The contents of the letters include negotiation of prices, discussions of sales and quality of the products. One of the letters mentions that a check was included in the envelope and several acknowledge receiving shipments of Spanish Cigars and tobacco.
John Pendleton Kennedy (1795-1870) was born in Baltimore, Maryland. He was a politician (elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1838) and writer with strong ties to the South. This collection includes a public letter which elucidates Kennedy's dialogue as an apologist for slavery on the one hand, and the views of famed anti-slavery activist, Lewis Tappan, on the other. The correspondence was written on March 5, 1850.
John Pendleton Kennedy was an influential writer, politician, and businessman in the Baltimore area who was instrumental in the establishment of the Peabody Institute. His papers include correspondence with many notable American cultural and political figures of the 19th century, as well as manuscripts, scrapbooks, and miscellaneous business documents.
This collection includes donations from Johns Hopkins University alumni that document student life, frequently reflecting the donor's personal experience as a student at Johns Hopkins University. The collection includes photographs, letters, student notes, and other material. The collection spans the 19th and 20th centuries.
The Alumni College was established by the Johns Hopkins University Alumni Association in approximately 1973, to provide alumni with travel learning opportunities, better known as "education vacations." The collection spans from 1970 to 1974.
The Johns Hopkins University Collection is an artificial collection which acted as a library vertical file for information about the University, but with the advent of the Hamburger Archives this vertical file is no longer necessary.