Found in 282 Collections and/or Records:
The collection consists of the original anti-slavery pamphlets assembled by the American abolitionist, James G. Birney. The collection spans the years 1784-1909.
J. Louis Kuethe (born 1905) served as assistant librarian at Johns Hopkins University for 43 years. The collection consists of articles published by Kuethe in Baltimore newspapers, correspondence related to his writings, and Kuethe's notes for a survey of place names of Maryland all dating from 1939-1968.
This collection consists of a Journal of a tour through the middle and southern United States from December 7, 1822 to June 25, 1823. The journal is an account of the first large-scale missionary effort to convert American Jews to Christianity.
James Ryder Randall (1839-1908) was a native of Maryland and penned the poem,
Maryland, My Maryland! which was adopted as the state song in 1939. The collection includes autograph transcriptions of a letter to Charles F. Gunther of Chicago and the accompanying aforementioned poem.
James Roberts Gilmore (1822-1903) was an American author who often used the pseudonym "Edmund Kirke." This collection includes letters collected by Gilmore from literary, political, and popular individuals of the 19th century. The letters span the years 1820 to 1903.
James Truslow Adams (1878-1949) was a historian and writer. The typescript letter which forms this collection is dated September 7, 1933 and addresses Mrs. Helen G. Williams.
Jean Evans Walter was born in Baltimore in 1920. Walter made a career working in insurance sales and adjustments, yet he attempted to become politically involved in 1970 by running for a seat on the Prince George’s County Council. This collection primarily consists of Walter's works of fiction, with materials concentrated into two time periods: from 1937-1957, and 1970-1971.
Jesse Slingluff was a Baltimore attorney and an alumnus of Johns Hopkins University. The collection consists of one bound notebook containing a series of lecture notes on German literature. The lectures are not dated, but appear to correspond to a German literature course offered by the German Department at Hopkins during the 1920s.